Pictures related to the D&H Canal.
Excerpted from D&H Canal Historical Society Website.
Pictures: Taken from the SCHS Archives
The Delaware and Hudson Canal was a 108-mile, man-made waterway, an engineering feat of pre-industrial America that brought a new form of energy from the hills of Pennsylvania out to the Hudson River. From 1828 to 1898, mules pulled barges laden with anthracite coal along river valleys from Honesdale in northeastern Pennsylvania to Eddyville on the Rondout Creek near the villages of Kingston and Rondout. From here, it was shipped on barges down the Hudson to New York City and up the river to Canada.
Slideshow used to promote town of Bethel at the Main Street Event.